Friday, December 21, 2007

Packed Schedules!!

That has been the most common mode of operation around our place since the last blog. We have had so many important and wonderful events in the past few weeks. As you may know, Matt returned from his mision to Samoa on the Tuesday before Thanksgiving. It was so good to see him again and to hear all about his missionary experiences. It was delightful to see how he has matured and grown into a man of considerable spiritual substance. He still has that faint little smile permanently affixed regardless of the circumstances. It was a wonderful reunion! All of our family together for the first time in nearly ten years!!



Mike and Lyndsi were married in the Logan Temple on November 23rd. They are very, very happy and we are elated to have Lyndsi as an official member of the family. They are living in Logan and plan to attend school full time and work full time as well. All of you know something about life like that.


Adam and Devri were married on December 19th in the Manti Temple. It was our first time to be in the Manti Temple...What a beautiful setting! Adam is still waiting to see if he will receive "the offer" to play football. Several coaches have expressed interest but nothing is formalized. He is still hoping to get an offer from a D1 school. There have been several good offers from D2 schools and some D1AA schools. All of this does nothing to contribute to any feelings of security or permanence. Devri is being wonderfully patient even though they are technically homeless at present. Devri is sweet and good and we are pleased that she let Adam choose her.




We are so grateful to have these two wonderful young women join our family. We earnestly hope that we won't ever embarrass them or make them wonder how such nice girls could get into such a fix. They both fit into our family pretty seamlessly and we are grateful. It is really sweet to watch them relate to each other, to their new husbands, and to the entire family.

It was especially meaningful for us to have all of our children together in the temple at each wedding. At times like this you realize that it is really all about family. We are so very grateful for our children and their companions and the goodness of their lives. We are blessed way beyond merit.

I love this time of year! I love everything about Christmas! I love the music. I love the ambiance of it all. I love the snow. I love the tinge of cold in the air. I love to hear the snow crunch underfoot. I love to walk outside when you are all bundled up with a warm cap and good gloves. I love it when you can exhale frosty breath. I love a crackling fire in the woodstove when it is cold outside. I love to see the delicate patterns of frost and snow on the bare branches of the trees. I love the stunningly brilliant blue sky of winter that always comes after a good snowstorm. I even love to join in the bustle of the holiday shopping crowds. I love to call out a cheery "Merry Christmas" to friends and strangers alike. There is nothing quite like Christmas.

There is another thing I like about Christmas. Throughout the year our most reverent worship is centered on the Savior. In our mind's eye we recall His ministry and the purpose of His mission and try to visualize Him as the Master Teacher, the consummate Priesthood Leader, the ultimate example of perfected man. At Christmas it is different. At Christmas we quietly kneel at a manger and our most reverent worship is centered on a baby...The Baby. And we are reminded that He wants us to become pure and meek and ... childlike.


To each of you who have taken the time to pause here, if only briefly, please know of our love for you. In so many ways, that perhaps you've not realized, you have blessed our lives and we are deeply grateful. I pray that the Peace of this season will permeate your heart and your home. May the blessings of Heaven rest upon you and all those you love.

2 comments:

Lyndsi said...

Ron,
I'm so glad you finally posted! Sometimes I check your blog to see if you've added anything new and most of the time I move on to another blog, disappointed! ;) Those were very nice things that you wrote! Nobody is as glad to have me be apart of the family as I am though! Thanks for always being so great to me! :)

Court and Jill said...

Great post dad, very insightful. Love ya lots